Below are the summaries of the issues with Artificial Grass that Solo Pak found after conducting the surveys:
1. Artificial Grass as a play surface provides all of the 5C’s for transmissions of harmful germs such as Golden Staph Infections: Crowding, Skin to skin Contact, Compromised skin, Contaminated surfaces and Lack of Cleanliness. (Centre for Disease Control: MRSA in the Workplace.) Any one of the C’s can allow for disease transmission. Keeping the grass safe and clean is the way to eliminate infection risks in this area.
2. Fresh Air and Sunshine. A study about the presence and survival conditions of Staphylococcus Aureus (Golden Staph) in Artificial Grass has produced some interesting results: Synthetic Turf and Staph Infections – Cause for Concern? Sunshine, warmth and fresh air been found to have a natural disinfecting action on completely clean artificial grass. However, contamination by potentially disease carrying dust, algae and mould and animal droppings should be regularly removed for the artificial grass to be considered safe for play.
3. Frequency. In a study of Survival rates of staphylococcus aureus on synthetic turf, golden staph were found to survive better in indoor or shaded environments. Detergent/sanitising treatments became largely ineffective, 2 months after treatment.
Considering the facts mentioned above, a maintenance program which includes the following factors will be effective:
- Ensure that the artificial grassed area receives direct sun for part of the day (if possible)
- Regularly clean up of debris such as leaves, sticks, mud and animal fouling by sweeping, raking, vacuuming and or flushing with water as needed.
- Apply Artificial Grass Cleaner to aid in loosening contaminating soils and to control bacteria and algae/mould growth.
Thus, Solo Pak formulated this easy to apply Artificial Grass Cleaner! You can do it yourself, simply you are like quickly watering your artificial grass every 2 months.Where to Use:
Easily applied to artificial grass. BONUS:
The product will also treat the areas adjacent to the grass such as paths, fences, pergolas and garden furniture.
Safe for the Environment
Earth Renewable Grass Cleaner is formulated with biodegradable surfactants and can be used with confidence in all areas of the property. Please follow good practice by avoiding direct spraying into fish ponds as heightened levels of chemical may prove harmful to marine life in the short term and limit extended spraying onto garden plants for the same reason.
What is Cleaned?
Contaminants such as viruses, bacteria, moss and algae, mould, lichens, atmospheric dirt and grime, animal droppings and pet urine are removed during treatment and your artificial grass and adjacent areas are left clean, safe and lightly smelling of freshly mown grass.
But does it work?
Solo Pak's extensive product testing show that lichens are harder to control than most other plant organisms. Check out the panels of treated and untreated lichen covered shade cloth shown below. The first picture is before cleaning with Artificial Grass Cleaner and the second 6 months after regular treatment every two months.
Solo Pak used this covered shade cloth as an example so you can easily see what Artificial Grass Cleaner does.