For us to understand why we use Orange Tung, let's have a look at first about Tung Oil.
- it creates a protective barrier as it is water and alkali resistant.
- A pure Tung oil finish will not darken with age (on non-oily woods), resists scuffs and surface marks, penetrates well, remains elastic, and is unlikely to craze.
- it builds quickly, consolidates the wood surface, and creates a transparent low sheen finish.
- it will not mildew or bleed when it is dry, unlike linseed oil.
- it is an excellent candidate for outdoor finishes and high traffic areas.
Why should I use Orange Tung instead of pure Tung oil alone? The downside of using pure unadulterated Tung oil is that it can take 4-6 days to dry, and unless you know how to apply it, problems with ripples, bubbles, settling dust and insects can occur.